Department: Facilities Title: Chief Engineer Status: Exempt, Full-time WFH: 5% of the time or less Work Schedule: Generally comprises six to ten, 8 hour days in a two week period.
Travel: 0 – 10%
The Chief Engineer ensures all systems are maintained, creating a safe and secure environment, and advancing Hillwood’s sustainability efforts. The position is responsible for the safe, secure, effective and efficient monitoring and operation of the museum’s overall physical plant including all HVAC, plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems.
In addition, the person will be required to serve in an “on-call capacity” requiring them to report to work on non-scheduled hours to assist with facility needs requiring immediate attention.
Key Job Elements:
Provide technical leadership to facilities staff.
Conduct daily/weekly/monthly work planning and review meetings with facilities staff.
Installation and maintenance of all equipment related to HVAC, water treatment, boilers and chillers.
Plan and organize long range assignments for maintenance of the facilities and physical plant.
Train and ensure OSHA compliance among the facilities staff.
Implement and maintain programs for inspection of facilities and documentation of work orders including comprehensive Preventative Maintenance Systems for all Hillwood fixed and movable equipment and building systems.
Administer outside maintenance and repair contracts.
Review operation of purchasing inventory and ensure proper quantities and types of maintenance materials and supplies are on hand in a timely manner.
Research and recommend equipment, tools, materials and supplies to fulfill the needs of the Facilities Department.
Train facilities staff on correct maintenance procedures and assist in repairs as needed.
Partners with the Security department on fire equipment and emergency planning.
Other duties, functions, special projects, and responsibilities as required by the Director of Operations and Technology.
• Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among the Team that allows for open communication, expeditious conflict resolution, and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, supportiveness, and working together effectively to enable each employee and the department to succeed.
• Consistently communicate in a way that embodies Hillwood’s standards and spirit of generosity. Maintain transparent communication. Appropriately communicate organization information through department meetings, one-on-one meetings and regular interpersonal communication.
• Reports to the Director of Operations and Technology.
• Works closely with the Head of Visitor Services, Head of Security, Exhibitions and Curatorial staff, and the Director of Horticulture.
• Supervises outside vendors.
• Interacts with various levels of staff and volunteers.
• Designated as an essential staff member for response to severe weather conditions and emergency situations.
• HVAC and boiler certification desired, or the ability to obtain certification based on policy guidelines.
• Five to eight years’ experience in physical plant maintenance or engineering programs at management level or equivalent years of experience in similar positions, preferably in a museum or cultural setting.
• Demonstrated experience leading and training.
• Experience in sourcing of services and equipment.
• Ability to demonstrate technical expertise in the fields of electrical engineering, plumbing, mechanical engineering, heating and air conditioning, welding, painting, and carpentry.
• Polished writing and speaking ability and strong interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated time management skills and detail-orientation.
• Access and employ job related computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office, Office 365, Building Management Systems, Work Request Ticketing System) at an effective proficiency level.
• Goal driven strategic thinker.
• Works independently with limited supervision.
• Adept at correspondence and other required materials in support of department activities. • Well organized with a strong detail orientation and penchant for action.
• Customer service orientation and mindset.
• Embrace new ideas, concepts. Open to collaboration.
Work Environment and Physical Conditions:
The physical requirements and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job or may be encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to follow and give oral and written instructions; stand, walk, and/or sit for extended periods of time with limited breaks; use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arm, and reach above shoulder height. The employee is regularly required to climb or balance, squat, kneel, and crouch. The employee is occasionally required to detect smells and lift, drag and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted. The employee is required to visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Employee is required to move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, ascend and descend stairs and steep terrain. While performing the duties of this job the employee is subject outdoor weather conditions and temperatures which at times can be extreme. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and general does not require the use of hearing protection equipment.
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time nor does it proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
Hillwood is seeking applicants from all backgrounds and educational levels to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of color and people with marginalized identities to apply for open positions. We strive to make the hiring process as accessible as possible. Please do not hesitate to share what will make the process best for you. We cannot guarantee all accommodations; our team will make accommodations where possible with sufficient notice. When sending your resume to email@example.com please let us know of any accommodations you may find helpful while engaging in our process.
This position is compensated at $95,000.00 annually. Please visit our website www.hillwoodmuseum.org for more information on this and other career opportunities.
Hillwood requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Applicants who have qualifying medical conditions or who have a sincerely held religious belief may request an exemption from the vaccination policy. Exemptions are determined on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with applicable law. Any medical information concerning an applicant’s disability will be treated as a confidential medical record in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws.