Fragrant Herb Workshop
This is part a scented suite of workshops associated with Perfume & Seduction.
Tour Hillwood's herb garden before creating your very own fragrant container of herbs.
You'll leave the hands-on workshop with:
- Seven small aromatic and culinary perennial herb plants, including lavender, rosemary, thyme, pink clove, and lemon verbena
- Twelve-inch terra cotta look-alike container
You'll learn how to:
- Care for the container garden or transplant your herbs to grow and thrive in your garden
- Preserve and dry herbs
- Use herbs in fragrant dishes, simple syrups, and vinegars
- Create pleasing home scents such as modern sachets and potpourris
All supplies are included in this workshop and latex gloves are available. These containers are low and flat on the bottom to ease transportation, but an old blanket or two in your trunk makes for easy clean up and provides a way to help cradle your basket during the drive home.
This program is limited to twelve people. Payment is required in advance and is non-refundable. This workshop must have a minimum of four participants. In the event the workshop is canceled, participants may choose a refund or to participate in another session. Please wear comfortable shoes and clothing. You'll be standing and working with plant material.
About the Instructor
Jessica Bonilla is the head gardener at Hillwood. Joining the team in 2009, she leads her staff in maintaining all aspects of garden upkeep. With over 20 years of experience, she started her career in commercial landscaping and in 2000 became head gardener at a private estate in Rochester, NY, where she also ran her own landscaping business. She currently leads a variety of educational programs at Hillwood and teaches the botany class for the DC Master Gardener program. She has a bachelor’s degree in Landscape Contracting from Penn State and is a member of the Boxwood Society.