We welcome students to engage with Hillwood through a variety of virtual and in-person offerings!
- Schedule a live, interactive virtual field trip for your class.
- Plan a guided or self-guided in-person group visit to Hillwood.
- Explore Hillwood from home with coloring pages, art projects, games, and a variety of digital resources.
- Check our calendar for information about live, virtual programs.
Virtual Field Trips
Hillwood’s virtual field trips bring our dynamic programs directly to your students through live video chat, led by trained museum educators.
- $75 per program
- Free for DCPS, DC public charter schools, and Title 1 schools
- Group size: minimum 5, maximum 35
- Dates and times: daily, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., subject to availability
- Program length: 45 minutes
- Technical details: presented live, via Zoom. You will receive a link to join the program after you register. If your school cannot use Zoom please contact us to discuss alternatives.
For more information, or to schedule a virtual field trip for your class, email email@example.com or call 202.243.3914.
Please submit field trip requests at least 4 weeks in advance.
Animal Art Safari (preschool-2nd grade)
Lions and dragons and birds—oh my! In this virtual program, students search for animals, real and imaginary, as they explore Hillwood’s art through playful looking activities, led by a museum educator via live video chat. Students will create their own drawings inspired by the art and will cultivate their observational and perceptual skills as they practice detecting and identifying animals depicted on art from different countries and time periods.
Treasure Quest (2nd-8th grade)
Students embark on an exploration of glittering treasures and magnificent art displayed at Hillwood in this virtual program, led by a museum educator via live video chat. Through active participation in playful games, sketching, and open-ended discussion, students enrich their understanding of art, as they cultivate their observational and perceptual skills while examining portraits and other art from Hillwood’s collection.
In-Person Field Trips
At Hillwood, students engage in authentic encounters with art, history, gardens, and culture in a unique and intimate setting.
- Self-guided and guided options available
- $2 Student (self-guided)
- $3 Student (guided tour)
- $4 Student (guided tour + art workshop)
- Free for teachers and chaperones
- Free for DCPS, DC public charger schools, and Title 1 schools
- See our visitor guidelines for information about how we are following the latest local and national guidance related to COVID-19.
For more information, or to schedule an in-person field trip for your student group, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.243.3914.
Enter the glamorous world of royalty and hunt for hidden gems, gold, and magnificent treasures that glitter and sparkle. Then make your own sparking treasure box to take home.
Gardens Alive: Colors in the Garden
Discover the vibrant and beautiful colors blooming in Hillwood’s gardens. Listen to a story, play a color matching game, and explore the gardens with your senses as you go on a ‘color walk’ to discover the sights, sounds, and scents in the gardens. Afterwards, create a colorful flower picture to take home.
- Group size: minimum 10
- Dates and times: Tuesday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
There are a variety of ways for your student group to enjoy Hillwood at your own pace.
- Explore the mansion and gardens with the following Treasure Hunts:
- Download Hillwood's dynamic mobile app, which provides a fully illustrated and narrated guide through Hillwood. We ask that you please bring headphones as playing the tour aloud in the mansion is discouraged.
- Our twenty-five-page printed tour guide provides an overview of each mansion room and highlights significant art objects. The printed tour is appropriate for high school students and is available in English, Russian, French, and Spanish.
Plan Your Visit
Getting to Us: Directions, transportation and parking information.
Visit Guidelines: Help us protect the art and gardens so everyone can enjoy them. Please review these hints and tips before bringing your group to Hillwood and see our visitor guidelines for information about how we are following the latest local and national guidance related to COVID-19.
Special Needs: Inform us of any special needs when you schedule your visit. Please review Hillwood's accessibility services.
• Merriweather Café: Purchase meals from the full service group dining menu or from the on the go group dining menu. Contact email@example.com or call 202.243.3914 to make arrangements.
• Picnicking: Bring picnic blankets and a bag lunch or snack to enjoy on the lawn in a designated picnic area. See our picnic map and guidelines for more information.
Museum Shop: Enjoy the shop's selection of toys, games, children's books, and jewelry.