COUNT PIERRE LOUIS AUGUSTE DE LA FERRONNAYS FROM THE MIDDLETON WATERCOLOR ALBUM
Currently in storage
About this object
The son of Count Eugène de La Ferronnays of Brittany, Pierre Louis Auguste de la Ferronnays (1777-1842) belonged to one of the region’s most eminent families. He and his family lived in France until the onset of the French Revolution compelled them to immigrate to Switzerland. Pierre joined the Army of Condé, a field army of French émigrés, before serving as an aide-de-camp to the Duc de Berry, the younger brother of Louis XVI, in England. With the restoration of the monarchy in 1814, Pierre, his wife Marie, and their children were able to return to France. A disagreement with the Duc de Berry meant that this homecoming was short lived—Pierre was appointed Minister to Denmark in 1817 and Ambassador to Russia in 1819. He remained in the latter position for eight years, during which time he become renowned for his honesty and integrity. Pierre was held in such esteem that Nicholas I presented him with the Russian Order of St. Andrew upon his ascension to the throne in 1825. In 1827 Pierre was recalled to Paris to assume the role of Minister of Foreign Affairs. Serious illness led to his resignation in 1829 and relocation to Italy the following year. While abroad Pierre was nominated Ambassador to Rome. He retired from public affairs shortly thereafter, dying in Rome in 1842.
The oval bust-length portrait depicts Count Pierre Louis Auguste de la Ferronnays facing partly left, eyes looking forward, against a background of grey clouds. He wears a dark blue uniform with gold epaulettes, the blue sash and star of the Order of St. Andrew, the star of the Order of St. Vladimir, the star of the Order of the Holy Spirit, and two smaller crosses suspended from red ribbons.
- Object name:
- COUNT PIERRE LOUIS AUGUSTE DE LA FERRONNAYS FROM THE MIDDLETON WATERCOLOR ALBUM
- Made from:
- Watercolor and gouache on paper
- Date made:
- H. 6 1/4 in., W. 4 7/8 in.
Detailed information for this item
- Catalog number:
- Signature marks:
- inscription Cte de la Ferronnays Bottom of page In cursive
- Credit line:
- Museum Purchase, 2004