Title: Maintenance Technician
Status: Full Time or Part-time
Overtime eligible (Non-exempt)
Full-time: Generally comprises five, 8 hour days in a one week period which may include Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Must be available to work evening hours as required. Work schedule may be altered as needed for events or other occasions.
Part-time: Generally scheduled no more than 28 hours in a one week period and generally not more than 8 hours in a day. There is no minimum guarantee of hours per week. Must be available to work evening hours as required. Work schedule may be altered as needed for events or other occasions.
This position is designated as an essential staff member and the incumbent is required to report to work as directed or remain on post in response to extreme weather or emergency situations including but not limited to emergency/storm preparedness and snow/debris removal.
In addition, the person may be asked to serve in an “on-call capacity” requiring them to report to work on non-scheduled hours to assist with facility needs requiring immediate attention.
0 – 10%
The Maintenance Technician performs general maintenance tasks, event set-ups and assists facility engineers, the facility’s manager, and/or the chief engineer with general building maintenance (interior/exterior) plus the maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and equipment.
Key Job Elements:
- Assist, or perform solo, when needed, with general and detailed cleaning of all interior and exterior spaces to include, but not limited to, offices, restrooms, cafe, gift shop, staff and visitor common areas and other areas as assigned. Said areas will be in a high state of cleanliness by mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, wiping, washing, polishing and dusting floors, carpet, walls, windows, and doors, trash and recycle removal, and other tasks as required.
- Perform routine daily inspections of assigned buildings and spaces, as directed.
- Inspect and repair or replace as needed electrical fixtures, lamps, receptacles, switches etc. located thru-out the facility interiors and exteriors.
- Perform seasonal duties such as cleaning gutters, pits, stairwells, roofs and other as required.
- Provide general and detailed maintenance and building repairs, to include, re-lamping, patching, painting, carpentry, masonry and other repair/replacement work as required, of all interior and exterior spaces campus wide to include, but not limited to, offices, restrooms, cafe, gift shop, staff and visitor common areas, executive director residence and other areas as assigned.
- Perform small plumbing repairs and or replacement, to include but not limited to washers, faucets, toilet replacement parts, unstopping sinks, toilets, pipes, drains, gutters, etc.
- Perform routine maintenance on HVAC and Electrical equipment to include but not limited to, change out of filters, belts, assist the engineers in the change out of, motors, pumps, controls, etc.
- Assist or perform general and specific cleaning and care of all wood, tile, marble, carpeted, etc. floors located throughout the facilities.
- Ensures that required documentation, operating logs, and maintenance forms are completed accurately and clearly and are maintained in accordance with department standards/methods including electronic data entry.
- Assist or perform solo the duties associated with events to include setups and tear downs are completed on time, and spaces are returned to their normal state in a clean fashion.
- Carry and utilize issued communication devices for emergency response and daily communication.
- Assist with storm-preparedness and clean-up to include snow and debris removal.
- Other duties as assigned within scope of experience/need.
- Reports to Facilities Manager but may also receive general supervision from the Chief Engineer or other facility engineers based on the assigned task.
- Interacts with various levels of staff, guests and vendors.
Requirements: Knowledge and Experience
- High School diploma or GED.
- At least one year of experience which demonstrates competence in the maintenance and repair of one or more of the following trades, HVAC equipment, plumbing and/or electrical systems plus demonstrated competence maintaining varying building interior and exterior surfaces. Satisfactory completion of a construction trade education program may be considered in lieu of actual work experience based on the curriculum/course content and accreditation.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use, HVAC, carpentry, plumbing, painting, and custodial hand and electrical powered tools.
- Takes care and custody of issued tools and equipment.
- Operate gas and electronic powered vehicles on property.
- General knowledge of safe work practices & OSHA regulations and conducts self in line with same.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, with ability to receive and respond to work assignments in both formats.
- Regularly communicate in English professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means.
- Perform basic arithmetic calculations and interpret/follow drawings, schematics, assembly instructions and construction diagrams.
- Access and employ job related computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office, E-mail, Calendar and ADP Timekeeping) at an effective proficiency level.
- Access and utilize the computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) within the standard protocols for completeness and timeliness.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships; demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse population.
- Detail orientation with a mindset towards meeting Hillwood’s high standards for maintenance of facilities.
- Demonstrated time management skills and including multi-tasking. Ability to meet deadlines.
- Work independently and with general supervision.
Work Environment and Physical Conditions:
The physical requirements and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job or may be encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual who with or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, stand, sit, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arm and reach above shoulder height. The employee is regularly required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell, and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted. The employee is required to visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Employee is required to move about their work area, between buildings and the campus grounds, climb up and down ladders, ascend and descend scaffolding and stairs while carrying equipment/supplies, handle various types power and manual equipment, operate machinery. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is subject to extremes of temperature while working in mechanical rooms or with equipment outdoors. The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, high voltage electricity with risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extremes of outdoor weather conditions and temperatures. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and occasionally requires the use of hearing protection equipment.
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are encouraged to apply. Generous benefits, paid vacation and holiday programs. So, come work "Where Fabulous Lives!" You can do so by sending a cover letter explaining your interest, and your resume to: